Sunday, June 13, 2010

Borders

The Manor; 5:45 p.m.; June 12, 2010; Nevada City, MT; f/ 4.0; 1/320; Canon S5 IS
Enhancements: This started out as a Camera RAW edit, but I didn't really like the colors. So then I turned it to sepia and added the border. For the border I downloaded a brush and using a Quickmask I made a stamp to create the border. I selected the inverse and hit delete. This created the edge effect around the picture. Then I just dressed it up with some text. This turned out a lot better than I imagined.

Train Car; 7:00 p.m.; June 12, 2010; Nevada City, MT; f/ 3.2; 1/100; Canon S5 IS
Enhancements: To create the border on this photo, I started by enhancing the original photo with Camera RAW. I added the Cutout and Poster Edges filters to create a painted look on the photo. Then I placed the image layer above a blank white layer. I then placed a layer mask on the image layer and filled it with white. Then using a thick heavy brush with the color set to black, I painted back the original even using random uneven strokes. I adjusted the opacity on on different strokes to give it more of a rustic look.


Barber Shop; 5:45 p.m.; June 12, 2010; Nevada City, MT; f/ 4.0; 1/500; Canon S5 IS
Enhancements: I began by adjusting the original image with Camera Raw. Then I created a new blank layer and set the background color to black. Then I used the Rectangular Marquee tool with 50px feathering to draw a box about 1/4 inch from the edge, and then hit delete. While I still had the selection active, created a duplicate layer and added a white stroke. Then I adjusted the opacity on black and white layers so they weren't too overpowering. It created an interesting burned edge.

2 comments:

  1. All of your borders are great! I like your filters you put on your pictures. I like the black on the first picture. It stands out really well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. the manor and barber shop are my favorites. the dark edges really help focus my attention inward.

    ReplyDelete